Tuesday, February 19, 2013

A NYC NewYear

After we left Washington D.C. {see post here} we took a train to New York City!

I must say, upon arrival, I was less than thrilled to be there. PEOPLE EVERYWHERE!

My small country life thinking was quickly rocked.

Once we were settled in our hotel and able to breathe a little-- I began to enjoy our visit to the City much more! (Although, a visit was enough-- I don't plan on ever living in a city that large. Small town life can spoil a girl.)

We stayed in the heart of downtown and it was incredible.

The view from our room

Before we left for our trip, we had made a list (mentally of course-- if you know us very well you know we obviously don't plan THAT much in advance) of the places we wanted to see before we left.

One of the top sites on our list was the 9/11 Memorial. Oh how I can still remember tiny details from that horrific day. I was in the 6th grade. I attended a Christian school and we spent the entire day in the chapel in a circle praying for our nation. Exactly were we needed to be at the moment. On our knees.

Ground Zero. May we never forget.

At the Memorial.

The names of the fallen carved in stone.

The soon to be new World Trade Center.

View of the City from Ground Zero.

View of the City from Ground Zero.

After we left the 9/11 Memorial, we did a little Sight-Seeing.

The hubs and I in downtown NYC.

Hello FDNY!

The best pizza in NYC

And off to Broadway we went! We saw three broadway shows while in NYC. The first was Phantom of the Opera (mom & I loved it-- the guys, not so much). Next was The Lion King and it was FABULOUS! I would highly recommend it! And the final broadway show was Wicked. It was incredible!! Wicked was Lee's favorite Broadway production-- and I must say, definitely competed for my favorite spot as well. All three were spectacular!

Broadway.

Another favorite spot was Times Square. The lights and activity was unreal! Nothing can describe Times Square on New Years Eve... only something you have experience!

Times Square on New Years Eve.

Times Square

SO many people!

Right where the ball drops on New Year's Eve.

Times Square

Times Square

The hubs and I in Times Square

Can you spot us on the live camera?! {click image to enlarge}

From here on out, we were all over the City. A little here, there and everywhere!

Pastry Shoppe in Little Italy-- was delicious!

Mom and I in China Town.
BEST noodles I have EVER tasted! I still crave them.

The "kiddos" in our ride for the trip.
Definitely the way to travel through NYC!

Rockefeller Center

Rockefeller Center

Central Park

Central Park

Anyone Recognize this Hotel?!
The largest Cathedral in the NYC area. Absolutely breath-taking inside.

I took so many pictures inside the Cathedral, but not many turned out well. It was so dark in the church that the slow shutter speed did not mix well with my constant shake.

Inside the Cathedral

 The shuttle boats were closed the day we went to see the Statue of Liberty. So we weren't able to get a close-up; however, it was still neat to be able to see it in person-- no matter the distance.

Statue of Liberty to the Left-- Ellis Island to the Right.

The hubs and I in front of Macy's

The New York Times.

New Year's Eve Dinner with the Family. Love them dearly!

The night before we left, we went to Top of the Rock. It was spectacular! It was quite eery though when you could feel the 70-story tall building swaying from side to side. Lee found out first hand about how weak at the knees you can get when getting a little too close to the edge. Heights didn't mix well with him that night. ;-)

The family on Top of the Rock

Despite the bone-chilling cold weather-- NYC was one experience we will never forget!

Love this man.

A short trip to NYC was plenty for this southern girl. I was thankful to be headed back South; however, I was grateful for the time & experiences we had while in NYC.

I will forever be dreaming of those noodles from China Town...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! May you have a blessed day!
XO, Abigail