Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Miss Kay's Chicken Chow Mein

At Christmas, my mom gave me Miss Kay's Duck Commander Kitchen Cookbook. I've made several recipes and they are all DELICIOUS! Really. If you like southern comfort food or cajun cooking, order the cookbook NOW! Your husband will thank you.

With that being said, I decided to try another recipe from Miss Kay last night. Pork & Chicken Chow Mein. 

At first I thought, a cajun making Chinese? But then realized it was the second recipe in the cookbook and surely she would have put some of her better recipes in the front, right? Her sweet notes on the bottom (love this about her cookbook) said that it was one of Phil's favorites. So off I went to the grocery store and grabbed all the ingredients to make her Pork & Chicken Chow Mein. 

This is where it gets ugly.....

I did everything as directed, yet the end product was NOTHING like I was expecting. Apparently my interpretation of what "chow mien" should be and what her idea of what it should be are completely different! 

I kept smelling, stirring and adding more seasonings, yet no amount of seasonings was going to fix this... 

I took a quick picture with my phone and texted it to my husband. 
He responded with "umm no. Pizza?" haha. So pizza it was for dinner! 

Although he never actually tried the Chow Mein, I'm confident that pizza was the correct decision last night. Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches when it comes to cooking. 

[Note to self: always stick with your initial instinct when it comes to picking recipes.]


If you do have Miss Kay's Cookbook, here are some of my favorite recipes:
Melt in Your Mouth Biscuits
Mac & Cheese
Stuffed Bell Peppers

2 comments:

  1. I just cracked up - "Ummm no. Pizza?" Hahaha! I hate when I try a new recipe and it's a flop - glad I'm not the only one that happens to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, trust me I've had my fair share of recipes fails. Seems every time I try a Pinterest recipe it fails too... Looking forward to trying your suggestions soon!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! May you have a blessed day!
XO, Abigail