Sunday, September 16, 2012

PW's Sherried Tomato Soup

I don't know about you, but fall is most definitely my favorite season. The feel of cool air coming in after a long HOT summer, the colors of creation changing, and of course FOOTBALL! Every season is "football" season in our home, but this time of year the rest of the world joins along. So what better to kick-off the fall weather than to make my husbands favorite tomato soup. (side note: Lee used to hate "fancy" tomato soup as he called it--until I made this one. Now he requests it!)

I found the recipe for this Sherried Tomato Soup from the Pioneer Woman's first cookbook. I received this cookbook as an engagement gift from one of my mother's dear friends. It's been over 2 years since I received the cookbook and I love it just as much today as I did the day I received it. It truly is A-MAZING! If you don't own a copy, I highly recommend you invest in one. You will not regret the decision. 

Enough jibber-jabber, let's get down to business. 

Here's what you will need:

6 Tablespoons Melted Butter
1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
1 bottle (46 Oz.) Tomato Juice
2 cans (14 Oz. Cans) Diced Tomatoes
1 Tablespoon (up To 3 Tablespoons) Chicken Base
3 Tablespoons (up To 6 Tablespoons) Sugar
1 pinch Salt
Black Pepper To Taste
1 cup Cooking Sherry
1-1/2 cup Heavy Cream
Chopped Fresh Parsley
Chopped Fresh Basil



Start off by sautéing the chopped onion in 6 tablespoons of melted butter until the onion is translucent.

Next, add the diced tomatoes, tomato juice, and sugar to the pot. (side note: I put the cans of diced tomatoes in my food processor before adding them to the pot. I like for my soup to have a slight texture, but not chunks. Either way works great!)

After you have placed all the tomato ingredients into the pot, add 2 tablespoons of chicken base to the pot. You may substitute the chicken base for chicken bullion cubes; however, I prefer the base in this situation. 

Bring the pot to a near boil then turn OFF the heat. 

Add the sherry (optional--but makes a huge difference in flavor) and the heavy cream. Stir.

Add the basil. Stir.

Add the parsley. Stir.

I let my soup simmer for about an hour or so to let the flavors blend well before serving. Add a grilled cheese with ham and your sunday night dinner is complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! May you have a blessed day!
XO, Abigail