Sunday, October 6, 2013

Our Story: Part 2


After bombing the first date, I declined him for a second. I had a wedding to go to that day so it worked out perfect (or so I thought)…

A week had past and no word from the coach since I declined his second date request. I was perplexed as to why he wasn’t still contacting me—this hadn’t ever happened before.

I had come home for the weekend and was sitting in my mom’s classroom as I looked out the window only to find Lee staring right back at me. It was the most awkward window wave I have ever given.

So very politely, Lee came into the classroom and said hello. Another fellow teacher (who was our same age) was in my mother’s classroom at the same time. It appeared as if I had declined Lee’s invitation in favor of “the other guy.” Little did Lee know that wasn’t an issue! You could cut the air in that classroom with a knife that afternoon; however, being the southern gentleman that he is, Lee was very nice and polite regardless.

As I watched from the window the football team load the bus for the game, I remember pulling out my phone wondering if Lee would text again. After much deliberation, I decided to be friendly and let him know I hoped he did well in his game and that I would be praying for him.

Lee coaching in the fall of 2009
Lee had the opportunity to coach his cousin during his senior year in 2009 (These were the days when Lee didn't cut his hair during football season)
He was persistent and asked me out again the following evening. This time, it was on my “turf,” the tennis court. After showing him the ropes on the court, (lets take a minute and not forget who won that game! Whoop Whoop! It’s the only sport I can even come close to competing with him in) we walked around the local park and got to know each other a little bit better.

After that night, there has yet to be a weekend go by that we haven’t spent it together.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only 7 short months later, Lee proposed! But not in any ole way… he went ALL OUT!

I had warned him that he better do it right, or I would make him do it again… and he took me seriously!

Lee conspired and got both of our families in on the action. It was May of 2010 and we were all headed on a fun filled family vacation to Walt Disney World! The most magical place of all! I LOVE Disney and was pumped to be heading down to Florida that spring.

Lee’s family is very spread out. His sisters ranged from age 7 to 16 at the time, so it was no surprise that we would choose Disney World as the destination. His sisters had never been to Disney and it had been years since I was there.


The first full day we were at Disney we started out with a character breakfast. It was so much fun! I mean, who doesn’t want to eat breakfast with Pluto?! At the end of breakfast, all the ladies ran to powder our noses quickly before we headed out for more excitement in Magic Kingdom. When I came back, Lee was gone and in his place was an envelope addressed to me. 

I quickly opened the envelope and began to read the news that Snow White had sent her dwarfs to capture Lee because she was no longer the fairest maiden in the land since I had arrived. After reading the details in the letter, I set out to "free" Lee through accomplishing several tasks throughout Magic Kingdom.

The minute I arrived to my next stop, a Disney employee would bring me my next clue. It was I was in a dream--out to capture my prince.
Lee's sisters helped me with my hunt
After several hours of hunting and performing crazy tasks, it finally hit me--he's going to propose!!! I was so excited when I finally found him at Cinderella's castle holding a beauty bouquet of flowers shaped like a pillow with a glass slipper and tiara on top. My eyes were going to and fro searching for that diamond ring!!! Yet it wasn't there..........


After we all took pictures and I realized that it was all over and THAT. WAS. IT.

Lee mentioned that we should all go back to our rooms and take a nap before we headed out to dinner. A nap?! Really?! We are in DISNEY WORLD!!! I thought to myself... in between my self-lecturing about how I won't be "that girl" who is mad because she didn't get a ring. I was going to be happy and thankful that I had a guy who would go to such measures just to bring a smile to my face.

After everyone napped, we headed to dinner.

While at dinner, it started STORMING outside. The storms seemed to make everyone uneasy, except me. I couldn't figure out why everyone was so uptight about the issue. We could ride the tram back to our hotel on Disney property and never have to step foot outside. I obviously had no idea what was in store for our evening plans...

After dinner, we headed out to a boat dock in which we boarded a yacht. If any of you have been to Magic Kingdom, you know there is a river in the front of the Kingdom from which you can get excellent views of the nightly firework show over Cinderella's Castle. (Side note: I had always wanted to be Cinderella every since I was a little girl. Cindy was always my favorite Disney Princess)

The Yacht's surround system was linked into Disney's Wishes firework show and the music that accompanied. We relaxed and enjoyed the ride along the river and then the fireworks show started. It was magical! It doesn't matter how many times you watch the Disney firework show, it's always spectacular!

About half-way through the Wishes show, Jiminy Cricket says "if you just believe, dreams really do come true." It was at that point that Lee dropped to one knee and asked me to marry him. And of course I said YES!!! It couldn't have been more perfect. All of our family was there and we were ENGAGED!

God knew what He was doing when He let this city girl fall deeply in love with a crazy country boy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! May you have a blessed day!
XO, Abigail